Thursday, July 16, 2009

Meet Recession Son no. 1


Meet my eldest son - D'Ken.

Yeah, so you've noticed too. He is ... flamboyantly dapper.

Would you hire this guy?!
At 21, he has yet to experience his first job. All his other friends have jobs -- store clerks, receptionists, day laborers, photoshop jobbers. He's the only one who acts like he's living off this huge trust fund.

He wants to be a graphic illustrator (another poor starving artist!). He has great talent and genius, but has yet to learn to be more generative and produce more artworks in a given time. Despite incentives, like paying for the publication of his works (most artists dream of an angel investor, don't they?), his pieces are few and far between. Probably he's aiming for that one piece-de-resistance that will sell big. But look at the Chinese, they make only a few cents off their work, but they produce it in thousands. If only he'll produce a volume that's in-between.

Secretly, I wish he'll turn into a Creative Director -- those guys make even more than I do! And I really yearn that he develops the sensitivity and skill to cater to different clients and target audiences needs in a timely manner. He thinks that concept is "selling out" his artist integrity. But hey, most of the great masters did commissioned work to get by, didn't they?.

The greatest challenge for any change agent is to overcome barriers, especially emotional ones, to the acceptance and embracing of change.

Red Flags of Negative reactions to change, these I find
  • Rational: "I don't understand what you're getting at", "I don't believe this step is necessary", "this aint going to work for me", "Oh this is not going to end well".
  • Personal: "I'm fearful, anxious of tomorrow","I'm going to resent your criticism of my performance","I hate interference/interventions in my life"
  • Emotional: Active or passive resistance. "I don't care", "I don't trust your motives behind this change", "I think you have a hidden agenda"
I believe one should take all resistance seriously, however far-fetched it seems, and deal with it effectively. Be sure to investigate silence thoroughly -- it is rarely golden. Persuade that change will always mean opportunity.

Using the carrot first before the stick may apply to him. He must "want" to change. Humor helps. So .. the beatings shall continue until morale improves!"

I just asked him how his job hunting process is coming along. He posted back, "I'll have you know that I went to see someone about my resume today. thank you."

As you can see the kitchen sink is now clean. Things are moving along nicely, change is on its way (... or down the drain. Yay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment