Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Time for Change

Change is part of life. Change should be embraced and made your Facebook friend.

There are basically three sources of change that our family must adapt to. 1) Crises change (like this recession). Changes in lifestyle and in values. Less eating out, less entertainment, less toys; 2) Changes due to growth and development. My sons just entered early adulthood and have to adopt new habits, skills, and responsibilities. They just got their driver's licenses, bank accounts and debit cards. And lastly, 3) Changes to Win. Mostly personal changes to survive and thrive in one's chosen field. This has to do with educational, training and practical learning opportunities and experiences. They are currently in the process of developing their work ethic and philosophy of work.

How can I motivate my children to embrace change and get the necessary skills to survive? How can I let them out of their comfort zones and accept the natural stress and discomfort associated with change?

"I get depressed after I make plans to achieve my goals.", my eldest son confessed. "Can't you see the signs when the kitchen and the living room get disorganized and cluttered."

I come from a third world country. Back home, one does not have the luxury of time or harbor feelings of depression. It's either you change or starve and die. Thousands are competing for few opportunities. If one snoozes, one loses.

I've read somewhere that crash survivors are characterized by the ability to get over the guilt/blame and depression, springing into action to find food, water and shelter.

How can I let them develop a sense of urgency with all life change?
I consider my sons blessed with above-average natural ability and access to tools and resources to thrive. But how come I see sons with less opportunities, abilities, and resources, even coming from trying circumstances but are able to rise above and thrive as responsible adults.

I asked one of Mathieu's prospective NY professors,"What is the most notable characteristic of your successful students?" She answered,"One word.. Tenacity."

My sons are works-in process, relatively spoiled emerging (timid?) dragons.

The one thing I struggle with them is their sense of time. We immigrated from a country that regards time in seasons and months. Here in the Western world we count time in days and hours. My eldest son want to go live/study in New York - they count time in minutes and hours.

I worry my time on earth may not be enough to see them through with all these uncertainty. I only wish they grow up soon and fast.

1 comment:

  1. I have decided that after reading this post....

    your name shouldn't be Daddy Bob. You should be addressed as Bobama

    ReplyDelete